Thank you for your interest in serving on the Starfish Missions Team. Please make sure to read all of this information carefully to get more information about the Starfish Missions Team, and information about Next Steps.
Security Information: Due to the sensitive nature of this trip, it is imperative that we maintain confidentiality about the Starfish House, the missions project and team activities. Please keep specific information within the Missions Team. At no time should you disclose specific information about the project, country, or site location to anyone outside the serving team. Consider sharing about the project in generic terms such as: My church is sending a team of volunteers to support staff who provide a safe home to juvenile victims of human trafficking in Central America.
CCM is coordinating and deploying a missions team to support the staff of the Starfish House. The Starfish House offers juvenile victims of human trafficking a permanent, safe, home where they can live as long as they want. At the home the children's physical, spiritual, and mental needs are met through 24/7 care provided by on-site staff. These staff members have families of their own who they are caring for as well. The long-term goal is to send a team every three months to provide rest and spiritual care to the Home Staff. The tentative travel dates for the initial trip are Nov. 5-11, 2023. The cost is estimated to be approximately $2,000/per person. If you are interested in traveling but cost is a barrier, please reach out to Pastor Shawn individually.
There are many teams that are needed in order for these trips to be successful. Please read the team descriptions carefully and prayerfully consider which area to serve in:
- Direct Childcare - caring for the children in the home while the Home Staff take some time for rest, discipleship, and trauma counseling
- Direct Staff Care - caring for the Home Staff by providing training in discipleship, trauma counseling, providing prayer, possibly helping them complete necessary projects in their own homes
- Cooking - cooking meals for the Mission Team members - the goal is for our team to be self-supporting so as to not burden the Home Staff
- Cosmetic/Beautician Services - We would like to serve the Home Staff by giving them a day of relaxation/spa treatments in addition to serving them spiritually. Therefore, we are in need of individuals who can provide manicure/pedicure services, hair styling/cutting/coloring, etc.
- Security - provide security for the Mission Team members while in country
- Medical - provide Medical services and/or medical consultation to the children in the home (Still working out the details as to how this will be accomplished. Also looking at long-term medical options and possible sponsorship with local in-country hospitals, or possible medical visa sponsorships.)
- Language - We need individuals who can serve as translators and interpreters during the trip and individuals who can help stateside by providing conversational Spanish lessons to individuals interested in serving on the missions team. There may also be a need for translating materials to take on the trip.
- Maintenance - complete construction and maintenance at the Starfish House, and possibly to the homes of the Home Staff
- Prayer - be part of a prayer team who is praying specifically for the missions team and the Starfish Home. Also, be a coordinator to share requests with the church as necessary during the trip.
- Email Shawn at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your interest in traveling in November, e.g., "Yes, I'm in"; "I'm not sure"; "I want to support stateside", or something else.
- Also indicate in your email which team you are interested in serving in from the list above. If you are interested in being a team lead, indicate that as well.
- Consider downloading DuoLingo, or similar, to begin learning basic conversational Spanish. There are free and paid versions.
- Download the Signal App - an encrypted messaging app that the Missions Team will likely use to communicate in the future. This is also the app that traveling team members will use to communicate with their families stateside.
- A passport is required for this trip. For more information about passports check the Dept. of State website here.
If you have any questions, please contact Pastor Shawn 304.906.7812 or email@example.com, or call Raquel Davis at 304.906.6074.
You can submit a check to the church with "Starfish Home" on your check's memo line. You may also submit cash in an envelope with your name and "Starfish Home" written on the outside. To pay for your trip online, click HERE. Please note that there is a required 3% processing fee for all online payments.